Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Dream

It started as a little girl. I would pour over the glossy, coloured pictures of our encyclopedias (when those were actually used for finding information) drinking in everything I could about horses. Then dogs. Then chickens, cats, cows, pigs, sheep, quail, and rabbits. Donkeys, mules, llamas, goats. Barns, pastures, fields. I was just a dreamer. I would grow out of it. Sure.
Well, now I'm 21, and coming to grips with the fact that I don't have to grow out of my dream, it can grow up right alongside me. I can have a small farm. And a day job. And really enjoy myself while doing it. And I will.
Right now the dream is this: graduate from Sutherland-Chan, and get myself through the registration exams to be a registered massage therapist. Get a job, anywhere I can, making reasonably steady income. Dedicate 1 day/week to massaging horses. Move back in with my parents to save for a house/start paying down student loans. Once my boyfriend graduates in two years, start looking for a house.
I want 5-10 acres. Raised garden beds full of heirloom veggies. Herb gardens to make tinctures and teas from. A flock of dual purpose heritage chickens. Meat and fur rabbits. A horse or two. Maybe a sheep or 3 (don't worry, I would never actually keep less than 3 sheep). Quail. Other fowl. Apple and Pear trees. Sugar maples to tap in the spring. A good dog by my side, and a great man (my great man) who's got my back. Maybe a fiddle crooning in my hands? I'd like to learn some kind of instrument, fiddle sounds reasonable to me.
Its just a dream... but it's my dream, and I WILL make it my reality. For today, that's enough.

No comments: