Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sun Tea

I tried making sun tea today, but I can't say I'm crazy about the results. Sun tea is a type of iced tea that uses heat from the sun to steep the tea bags, so it never truly gets hot. It's supposed to have a different sort of taste from pouring boiling water over the tea bags and then letting it cool. Less tannins are supposed to leech out, making it less bitter.
When I tried making my sun tea today I added lemon juice and honey to my cold water and tea bags before putting it out in the sun. I found the tea weak tasting, and perhaps it just needed longer steeping, but I had to head out to pathfinders, so it had to come in. It also tasted... I don't know... funny.
I'm going to try again some time, but perhaps only add lemon and sweeten after all the steeping is done and the tea comes back inside.

2 comments:

small farm girl said...

When u sweeten it before u set it outside, it can grow bacteria. Thats probably why it tasted like that. Im with you tho, I think sun tea tastes weak.

rocking R rustics said...

1 or 2 more tea bags will help.