Sunday, September 2, 2012

Settling In

Well, I've officially arrived and am a citizen of Newmarket: I've located and visited the farmer's market. And it's fabulous!! Much bigger than the one in orangeville, but still the kind of place where you can talk to the growers and producers of your food, and get to know it's story, seed to supper.  Great prices, and AMAZING produce. I've never seen bell peppers so big! We bought three of them. As well, we bought an heirloom watermelon, a basket of green beans, a basket of peaches, a basket of pickling cucumbers, a cantaloupe, a HUGE bunch of radishes, a big beautiful red onion, and a jar of pickled onions. Oh yeah, a good haul for sure.
Tonight I went for a nice long walk around my new neighbourhood. I found choke cherry bushes, apple trees, oak trees with fat acorns and wide caps perfect for whistling on. Most heartening, I found a little thicket of buckthorn trees. My interest in the rhamnus cathartica, or buckthorn, started as mere coincidence. I liked the name cathartica, and shared it with these scruffy little bushes that happened to grow on the property my parents bought. Now it has a special place in my heart, and will likely live on or near every place I live.
My stuff is all unpacked and has found a place to belong. I absolutely adore waking up beside the love of my life each morning. I rather like it here all in all!

2 comments:

small farm girl said...

Sounds like you are happy. I'm glad.

Katou said...

Wishing you the very best for the future and I'm really happy for both of you.