Saturday, April 20, 2013

Avocado Pasta

This pic is from the first time I made it, with bacon and shrimp

I have a new favourite pasta recipe!!

The sauce:
-1 whole avocado, peeled and pitted.
-1-2 tbsp of oil (to help your blender/processor out. use more for firmer fruit, less if nice and soft)
-juice from 1/2 lemon (and some zest if you want to get all fancy)
-1-2 cloves garlicsalt and pepper to taste
-the recipe calls for fresh basil but I didn't have any.(yet!)
whip it all up and set it aside to let the flavours mingle. It will be quite thick.

For the rest:

I like something like rotini or shells because they seem to hold sauce better. Use somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 bag of pasta, depending how saucy you like it, and how many veggies the sauce has to coat as well.. Lately I find I use about equal parts of vegetables and pasta. Tonight, it's green beans and broccoli (thrown in to cook with the pasta in the boiling water), and then zucchini and mushrooms tossed in after the pasta's drained. I also like it with raw baby spinach, and minced red onions look really lovely against the green of the avocado. I like to sneak as many veggies into my diet as I can. You can add left over cooked chicken, shrimp, ham, bacon (I have tried bacon and shrimp so far) or just leave it like that. Stir in the sauce and eat- yum. It's creamy and rich.. hits the spot like the ultimate comfort food but way less calories than alfredo or something. Eating leftovers the next day I prefer to eat it cold like a pasta salad.

No comments: